It’s almost that time of year when the family arrives in full force, and if you are going to be hosting over the festive season, then this delicious mussel pot recipe is just for you. We don’t usually share recipes, but this one is a winner in our books, thanks to Chef Mynhardt Joubert.
A mussel pot smacks of happy times and rekindling old friendships and is the perfect way to celebrate a sharing meal, with those dear to you – all with a bottle of Roodeberg in hand, of course.
Chef Mynhardt’s heart beats to the rhythm of heritage food and his deliciously creamy mussel pot recipe spiced up with Roodeberg red wine and the rich flavours of chorizo is to die for! Get everyone involved for a cooking experience and can even be done in a pot over the fire too.
“The robust flavours of the red wine and chorizo pair wonderfully with the salty taste of the mussels. This dish is best eaten with loads of freshly baked bread to lap up the sauce, enhanced by a glass or two of Roodeberg for good measure.” says Chef.
Chef Mynhardt Joubert’s Creamy Chorizo & Roodeberg Mussel Pot
Serves 4 to 6
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1. 2 tablespoons of butter
2. 2 onions chopped
3. 120 g of sliced chorizo
4. 5 cloves of grated garlic
5. 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
6. 250 ml of Roodeberg Red
7. 250 ml of prepared fish or chicken stock
8. 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
9. 250 ml of cream
10. 30 g of chopped fresh coriander
11. 2 kg of fresh whole cleaned mussels
1. Heat up a large saucepan or pot and fry the onions and chorizo in the butter till golden brown. Add the garlic and paprika. Stir through and fry for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the red wine, stock and the tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil and then turn down the heat to let it simmer and reduce by half.
3. Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Add the mussels, bring the pot to a boil and remove from the heat, let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
4. Serve with crusty bread or pasta.
Roodeberg Red is available countrywide and retails at around R85 per bottle. Find out more here…